Asphalt driveways are a popular option for many homes, but they can come with some problems. While an asphalt driveway is a durable and long-lasting option, certain issues can develop over time. It’s important to be informed of these problems to ensure your paving contractor addresses them before they cause serious damage. Before you get too excited about that new asphalt driveway, take a minute to learn about the potential problems it could cause.
Many factors can cause problems with new asphalt driveways.
1. Poor installation – If the driveway is not installed properly, it can lead to several problems, including cracks, potholes, and fading.
2. Lack of drainage – Without proper drainage, water can pool on the surface of the driveway and cause damage.
3. Improper parking – Parking on an asphalt driveway can cause indentations and cracks. It causes the pavement to crack and crumble, leaving tire marks and oil stains.
4. Potholes – Potholes can form when the driveway’s surface deteriorates. Water seeps into pavement cracks and then freezes, causing the cracks to expand. Potholes can also form by traffic, wear and tear. Ensure your asphalt driveway is cured before exposing it to too much traffic.
5. Cracks and fissures – Cracks and fissures can form if the driveway is not installed properly or if it experiences extreme temperature changes.
6. Settling – Settling is a common problem with new asphalt driveways. It occurs when the ground beneath the driveway shifts or settles, causing the pavement to crack and crumble. Settling can occur if the soil underneath the driveway is not compacted properly.
7. Weathering – Extreme weather conditions can damage asphalt driveways. The sun, wind, and rain can all cause the pavement to fade, crack, and crumble.
8. Erosion – Erosion is another problem with asphalt driveways. If the driveway is not installed properly, it can allow water to seep underneath the pavement and wash away the foundation. It can cause the driveway to sink and crack.
Each of these factors can lead to problems with new asphalt driveways. Before installing an asphalt driveway, it is important to be aware of these potential problems. Choose a reputable paving contractor with experience installing asphalt driveways to ensure that your driveway will be installed properly. Discuss any inquiries you may have with your paving contractor.
Avoiding Asphalt Paving Issues
Asphalt paving is a process that comes with its own set of issues. If these problems are not avoided, they can cause extensive damage to your driveway. Here is how you can avoid them:
1. Make sure that the contractor you hire is experienced in installing asphalt driveways.
2. Be sure to have a written contract that stipulates what will be done, when it will be completed, and how much it will cost.
3. The base should be prepared properly before the asphalt is installed; the area should be graded and compacted.
4. The asphalt should be installed at the right thickness to avoid problems such as cracking and potholes.
5. Be sure to seal the driveway after it has been installed to protect it from weather damage.
6. Have your driveway regularly inspected to identify any problems so they can be repaired quickly.
By following these guidelines, you can avoid the issues of asphalt paving. By working with an experienced contractor and taking the time to prepare the base properly, you can ensure that your driveway will be installed correctly. Regular maintenance and inspection will also help to identify any problems so they can be fixed before they cause extensive damage.
Hiring the Right Paving Contractor
To ensure you’re happy with your choice of paving contractor, consider the following factors.
1. Make sure that the contractor is experienced in installing asphalt driveways.
2. Be sure to get a written contract that specifies what will be done, when it will be completed, and how much it will cost.
3. Ask for references from past clients and check them out.
4. Make sure the contractor has insurance, so you are protected in case of any damage or accidents during installation.
5. Consult with multiple contractors to get their estimates. It will help you get a fair price.
6. Read online reviews to see what others say about the contractor you are considering.
7. Be sure to ask questions so you can be sure that the contractor understands your needs.
By doing your research, you can be sure that you are choosing the right paving contractor for your project.
When choosing the right paving contractor, you want to make sure you choose a company with experience. Premier Asphalt has over 25 years of experience in the industry. We have installed countless asphalt driveways in Naperville, Illinois, and know what it takes to do the job right. We provide a variety of additional services, such as sealcoating and pavement repair.
No matter what your needs are, we can help. Contact us today for a free estimate and to get started on your new asphalt driveway!